Modern Christmas Tree Retailing
Before the days of plantation grown trees, farmers worked with and harvested their trees from wild forested stands for the most part.
The retailers had to rely on their own skills and ingenuity to spruce them up into nice looking trees, attractively merchandise and market them, and then work hard to sell them.
Today’s trees are pretty magnificent comparatively speaking. Consequently, many of us will never need or acquire much of the knowledge and skills that these treasured old time retailers relied on. It is unrealistic for retailers to think that today’s growers can manufacture a tree to a specific set of standards at will, however. It is still a tree that is unique and governed by genetic characteristics and environmental conditions that cannot be overcome. It’s quality, shape, desirability, grade, and value are considered personal preferences that vary from consumer to consumer, for the most part.
It is still and always will be up to the retailers to know how and commit to making them look their best. Retailers will always need to rely on their own sales skills and strategies to sell their trees. As a general rule, it is not reasonable to expect trees to sell themselves, or acceptable to blame a grower if they don’t sell.
- Limbs can get twisted during the baling process. Spend a few moments studying the tree, and help it unfold back to it’s original shape.
- Shake it good to remove any debris or dropped needles.
- Inspect it’s overall shape. A selective clip here or there may help finish the tree to your satisfaction.
- Insert a branch to fill an unwanted opening. (plugging)
- Add a coat of flock to a drying or undesirable tree.
- Repair a broken top or branch.
- Reduce price if necessary.
Most of our great customers have been with us for 30 years, some 40, and a few over 50. These “Old Timers” built this great industry that we now enjoy with nothing but their own ingenuity and grit. They are treasure troves of hard earned knowledge and wisdom. We don’t need for them to tell us how they do it. No one was was there to tell them how to do it. Just do it and become your own treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom that others will one day find remarkable!